Re: Changing MulitMeasureRest.stencil to a squiggle

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Changing MulitMeasureRest.stencil to a squiggle
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2016 21:01:08 +0200

> On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 11:07 AM, Marc Hohl <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Am 06.09.2016 um 16:09 schrieb David Nalesnik:
>
>>> Even if you for this to work, your mockup shows a line more complex
>>> than a squiggle.  You'd only be able to get a simple zigzag line,
>>> without the refinement at the ends, and without control of the
>>> "amplitude" (as if my simple example below).
>>

>> I found out that the aplitude may be controlled by
>>
>> \override Staff.MultiMeasureRest.zigzag-length = #1.33
>> \override Staff.MultiMeasureRest.zigzag-width = #1.33
>>
>> and playing around with these values.
>
> Aha!
>
> Well, I found time to finish what I started.  See attached. I added a
> possibility of a wavy line.
>
> David

Hi David,

last time I tried to override MMR's stencil was back in 2.16.0.
I never got it to work properly: always misalignings between default
and tweaked stencils and/or MMR-Number. This happened differently
depending whether the MMR occured in the first line or in next lines.
Sometimes it made a difference, if I omitted Score.BarNumber or not
(never found out why) and some other jokes of this kind..,
In the end I gave up.
Though, that was 2.16.0

I didn't dive into your code, but did a test.

mmrDefault = {
  \compressFullBarRests
  R1*24
  R1*4
  R1*72
}

mmrZigZag = {
  \temporary \override Staff.MultiMeasureRest #'stencil =
    #(my-stencil make-zigzag-squiggle 2 1) % squiggle length, height
  \compressFullBarRests
  R1*24
  % ignored
  R1*4
  \once \override Staff.MultiMeasureRest #'stencil =
    #(my-stencil make-zigzag-squiggle 3 1)
  R1*72
  \revert Staff.MultiMeasureRest #'stencil
}

mmrWavy = {
  \temporary \override Staff.MultiMeasureRest #'stencil =
    #(my-stencil make-wavy-squiggle 2 1)
  \compressFullBarRests
  R1*24
  R1*4
  \once \override Staff.MultiMeasureRest #'stencil =
    #(my-stencil make-wavy-squiggle 3 2)
  R1*72
  \revert Staff.MultiMeasureRest #'stencil
}

\new StaffGroup
<<
  \new Staff { \key cis \major \mmrDefault \break \mmrDefault }
  \new Staff { \mmrZigZag \mmrZigZag }
  \new Staff { \mmrWavy \mmrWavy }

\layout {
  indent = 0
  ragged-right = ##f
}

The result reminds me strongly at my previous experiences.
I'm stil not motivated to catch this ball again, hopefully you'll find
the culprit.

Cheers,
  Harm