Re: Combining voices in American Hymns

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Combining voices in American Hymns
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2016 09:52:43 -0500

On Thu 08 Sep 2016 at 10:18:45 (+0200), Urs Liska wrote:
> Am 08.09.2016 um 10:09 schrieb Phil Holmes:
> > ----- Original Message ----- From: "Urs Liska" <address@hidden>
> > Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2016 7:47 AM
> > Subject: Re: Combining voices in American Hymns

> >> But on the very same page are also described the commands
> >> \partcombineApart
> >> and
> >> \partcombineApartOnce
> >>
> >> which do exactly what you need (if I'm not mistaken completely).
> >
> > Partcombine has been improved in 2.19.  See
> > http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/multiple-voices#automatic-part-combining
>
> Ah, sorry, of course it's not "the very same page" ...

There's another "feature" of American hymn books illustrated on
http://www.hymnary.org/text/amazing_grace_how_sweet_the_sound#pagescans
which I haven't seen any mention of before, and only noticed recently
when thumbing my way through a hymnbook during a boring hymn.

We're used to seeing lyrics left-aligned when under a melisma, but
centred under the note otherwise. However, some hymnbooks left-align
the first lyric on each printed line regardless.

The second hymn from the left, which is a link to
http://www.hymnary.org/hymn/G32011/page/484
shows this. I don't want it, but can LP do this automatically?

This example also left-aligns the start of each poetic line,
which is easy to do oneself of course. The next example along
http://www.hymnary.org/hymn/CGH2010/page/554
doesn't treat poetic lines, but only the printed lines and
melismas.

As we're on the subject, I've noticed that some hymnbooks also
add verse numbers at the start of each printed line once the
number of verses reaches five, which was the subject of
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2016-06/msg00469.html
I don't know how they would interact with these alignments.

Cheers,
David.