Re: Using \startTextSpan and \stopTextSpan in separate music functions

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Using \startTextSpan and \stopTextSpan in separate music functions
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2016 00:48:31 +0200

tisimst <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, Sep 16, 2016 at 3:50 PM, Thomas Morley-2 [via Lilypond] <
> address@hidden> wrote:
>

>> Your function doesn't integrate \start/stopTextSpan into the
>> 'articulations of the music-arg, which is needed.
>> A most boiled down example would be:
>>
>> mus = c'1
>> { \mus \tenuto }
>>

>> Would be probably nice to have it work, but I seem to remember there
>> are some problems, forgot what exactly though.
>>
>> Your function could be done at the lines of:
>>
>> myStartTextSpan = #(define-music-function (mus) (ly:music?)
>>   (ly:music-set-property! mus 'articulations
>>      (cons #{ \startTextSpan #}
>>        (ly:music-property mus 'articulations)))
>>   #{
>>     \override TextSpanner.color = #red
>>     #mus
>>   #})

That assumes that $mus is an actual expression capable of accepting
articulations (which { c } wouldn't).

I'd rather write

   #{
       <>-\tweak color #red \startTextSpan
       $mus
    #}

and then that begs the question why to use a music function in the first
place rather than just writing

myStartTextSpan = <>-\tweak color #red \startTextSpan

--
David Kastrup