Re: applying a tweak or callback to an \after-ed grob

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: applying a tweak or callback to an \after-ed grob
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2016 14:53:05 -0400

Hi Harm and David,

Thank you!

>>    %% no need for second once, it's already in `hairpinWithCenteredText’

Yes… I’ve altered that now, so that hairpinWithCenteredText is a non-\once
\override.
(Now that we have \temporary, \single, etc., I think I will make sure that all
such functions in my library are non-\once, and then add syntactic sugar as
appropriate.)

>>    \after 2 \single \hairpinPoco \< g1 g\!

> Which is more or less the point of having \single: being able to convert
> an override into a tweak when nothing else will do.

I clearly didn’t understand that, but this does exactly what I want it to —
thank you.

For archive readers: The page
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/learning/tweaking-methods does a
pretty good job of explaining the purpose of \single (and other tweaking
methods).

For developers/users: Should that page include a description of [the effect of]
\temporary, and/or a link to
<http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/extending/intermediate-substitution-functions>
 (where there is such a description)?

Thanks,