Re: Horizontal spacing - How to prevent compressing while allowing stret

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: Horizontal spacing - How to prevent compressing while allowing stretching?
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2016 18:50:40 -0700 (MST)

Karol,

On Sunday, October 9, 2016, Andrew Bernard [via Lilypond] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Karol,

By ‘natural’ are you referring to the spacing displayed when ragged-right is set to true, or something else?

As far as I know there is no parameter to enable what you want - stretch but don’t compress. One of the major advantages and features of lilypond is it’s very smart and subtle spacing algorithms, containing a lot of deep heuristics other programs lack.

For me, although it may be tedious and is manual rather than automatic, I simply put a \break at the point you want a break, and this allows you to adjust spacing, up to the granularity of a bar.

You may also consider turning on proportional spacing. For my new complexity school scores I have to say that it just does not work very well at all (the radily changing rhythmic structures confuse it), but for more common era period music I think people have success with it.

There are also ‘new spacing section’ commands you may want to look up. I’m no expert on that - others here will know more!

There’s also some code around to set a fixed number of bars per line, if this is of any use for your scores. It goes against the grain a bit but it can be made to work and there are uses for that.

Andrew

I would try something like this if it is that important that you don't get any compressed measures. First compile with all the ragged-... = ##t so that you can see where the natural break points are located. Then, follow Andrew's advice by inserting the manual \break after the measures at the end of each system.

Not sure if there's a better way than that. Not sure if it even works, but could be worth a try.

Good luck,
Abraham