Re: Changing voice order...

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: Changing voice order...
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2016 13:21:54 +0200

On 2016-10-27 23:38, David Kastrup wrote:
The majority tends to be silent.

Minority report out of the silent majority:
I got used to the status quo, which is totally natural once you
internalized the meaning of \voice<Digit>.

Well, walking on your hands is totally natural once you internalized
being upside down.

Also, walking on your hands is easier than standing on them. I'm still waiting for that... ;-)

The problem I have is that all of the the <Digit>s
in \voice<Digit> stop making sense as soon as _one_ <Digit> moves past
Two.

I wouldn't say that it stops making sense at all, but it's a different sense than the one you expect from a musical point of view. So, yes, I get your point.

I agree with you that these names are semantically suboptimal. On the
other hand, I find something like \inner \VoiceUp etc. slightly too
verbose; I'll get used to it, but I can't say I'm too fond of it.

Better proposals welcome.  My first idea was \voiceUpUp but that does
not work since additional voices are inner voices.  And \voiceUpDown and
\voiceUpDownDown would again be rather confusing.  So the idea with
\inner as a modifier.  Replacing \inner \inner with \innermost suffers
from the problem that the innermost level might be either further out or
in.

What about \voiceUp<Digit> and \voiceDown<Digit>? Where the former are counted from top to bottom, and the latter from bottom to top? So the current \voice<n> becomes \voice<n%2 ? Up : Down><ceil(n/2)> ?
Or \<ordinal>FromTop and \<ordinal>FromBottom?

I am a radical conservative: I want to keep everything the way it should
have been from the start.

If that's the goal: I again agree with you that top-to-bottom makes
the most sense IMHO; but either the << ... \\ ... \\ ... >> just
assigns names, not styles, or you should also think about some
syntactic sugar to specify the boundary between "up" and "down"
voices. Something like
  <<
    topmost \\ 2nd from top
    \\\ % note the three backslashes
    topmost stem-down \\ middle stem-down \\ bottom stem-down

which would translate to << 1 \\ 3 \\ 6 \\ 4 \\ 2 >>...

So does

<< topmost \\ 2nd from top
   \\ { \inner \inner \voiceDown topmost stem-down }
   \\ middle stem-down \\ bottom stem-down

Basically you need to only fix those voices not obeying the standard
scheme (usually just one) and the rest will work out.  So I don't really
think that a special syntax is needed.

True. But isn't the point of this shortcut notation that it saves you the trouble of specifying those directions and voice names on your own? - Coincidentally, that's why I hardly ever use it: I tend to get lost with the automatic assignment and prefer more (manual) verbosity here, but I'm mostly setting vocal music where I need to assign lyrics and stuff later.

Cheers,
Alexander