Re: Drawing an Oval around a group of notes

From: Klaus Blum
Subject: Re: Drawing an Oval around a group of notes
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 13:29:44 -0700 (MST)

Hi Harm,

Thomas Morley-2 wrote
> Maybe David Nalesnik's frame-engraver could be forced to do so as well.

I could not resist to try that... David's tool is a really cool thing.
The most recent code I know of is here:
http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/box-around-notes-td35581.html#a170648

Here's a first result:
box-to-ellipse.ly
<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n195915/box-to-ellipse.ly>
box-to-ellipse.pdf
<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n195915/box-to-ellipse.pdf>

It's only a first step and not yet usable for any case.
I simply replaced the (rectangular) boxes by ellipses. However, not
everything inside the rectangle is covered by the ellipse. There is a
property "padding" that can be used to generally increase the size of the
ellipses.
Also, there is no support for line breaks so far, as a "broken" ellipse will
result in two separate ellipses.

Cheers,
Klaus