Re: Changing voice order...

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: Changing voice order...
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2016 11:28:39 +0100

On 2016-11-02 11:20, David Kastrup wrote:
Alexander Kobel <address@hidden> writes:

I mostly set vocal music - typically clean SATB with exactly four
voices on either two or four staves, but sometimes a voice splits to
two or three in between.  In that case, I'll almost always have a
four-staves situation.  This screams for << \\ >> or << \\ \\ >>.

However, I attach lyrics to the voices, and that's why I give them
sensible names - namely, "sop" (or "soprano"), "alt", etc.  The
implicit voice naming with << \\ >> means that I have to split my
lyrics to separate context, or I'll have to rename the voices inside
<< \\ >>.

No, it just means that your lyrics have to follow the staff rather than
a single voice unless your lyrics split as well.

Can't find the issue number where this was made to work.  Still has
problems with overlapping melismata if I remember correctly, so maybe
that's why it's not advertised prominently.

Hum. You mean if I name the staff instead of the voices, I can create lyrics that follow all voices that are active on this staff? Doesn't seem to work, but I might not have the right syntax. The only thing I'm aware of is using an "aligner" NullVoice, as shown in NR 2.1.2: Polyphony with shared lyrics, but that's kinda clumsy, too.

By the way, your reply to Werner shows pretty much what I actually would consider useful: :-)

[...]
The problem I see right away with that is that it is useful.  How is
that a problem?

<<
  \new Voice = "soprano" {
     \voices 1,soprano << ... \\ ... >>
  \lyricsto "soprano" { ... }

Lo and behold, we have a solution for an old problem.
[...]

Cheers,
Alexander