Re: Question for a FLOSS licensing session

From: Wols Lists
Subject: Re: Question for a FLOSS licensing session
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2016 14:46:32 +0000

On 31/10/16 09:04, Thomas Morley wrote:
>> Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> When entering a new snippet first thing you read is:
>>>
>>> "Important: By entering your snippet, you are placing it in the public
>>> domain. This includes also snippets taken from the Lilypond manual
>>> (the manual authors grant you their permission to do so)."
>>
>> Is that a special permission for the LSR or does it hold for everything
>> from the manual?
>
> That I don't know.
> Iirc, this sentence is there since I started using LilyPond, so maybe
> since the LSR was set up.

This sounds dangerous to me!

Firstly, do the manual authors/editors know about it? This is the first
I've heard of it, and while my contributions probably (a) aren't
copyrightable anyway (too small), and (b) have probably been edited away
over the years, I don't remember ever giving a permission like that.

And secondly, anybody who puts manual material into the LSR is
relicencing it. Per "firstly" above, do they actually have the authority
to be able to do so?

(As always, I can't see anybody caring, but someone could decide to
cause trouble ...)

Cheers,
Wol