Re: Mystery empty staves appear on score

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Mystery empty staves appear on score
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2016 11:29:25 +0100

Am 07.11.2016 um 11:23 schrieb mclaren:
> Thanks!  That answer a lot of questions. So presumably the S2 is means
> "silent half note rest."
> I'm guessing, then, that S1024 or S4096 will generate silent 1/1024 note
> rest and silent 1/4096 note rests, respectively.
>
> Ideally, what I want is a silent rest of zero length. Experience shows that
> Lilypond won't print a rest shorter than 1/128 note, so maybe if I enter a
> short enough silent rest Lilypond won't insert it at all in the score.

LilyPond doesn't know about notes or rests shorter than 1/128. This is
an arbitrary limitation into which I've also run occasionally.

> That's what I'm looking for, a silent rest of zero duration that simply
> makes the page break and adds nothing to the score. I'll fiddle around with
> Lilypond some more and see what I can come up with. In any case, this
> valuable clue points me in the right direction.

You can get a silent rest ("skip") of zero length with e.g. s4*0 (or any
other duration times zero) (note the lowercase "s"), but I'm not sure
you need this. In order to create allow a break in the measure you need
only \bar "". But maybe I'm missing something from this stripped down reply.

HTH
Urs