Re: Notational conventions

From: Hans Åberg
Subject: Re: Notational conventions
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2016 18:09:25 +0100

> On 9 Nov 2016, at 16:22, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hans Åberg <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I couldn't tell for buttons, but with full scale keyboard, is normally
>> an advantage with adjacent, or close together, keys.
>
> We are talking about 7.5cm/octave here, so a horizontal escapement of
> 0.625cm per semitone.  Since the notes are in staggered rows, the actual
> distance is more like that of horizontally adjacent buttons, namely
> 7.5cm/4 = 1.875cm but in a sort-of diagonal direction.

That is about the same as on the computer keyboard that I used with my ChucK 2D
layout program, which seemed to work fine with ornaments, perhaps not full
speed, but a real music keyboard ought to do better,

An accordion instruction book shows one should play buttons from above. Check
what pros do. Fingering is individual, so if your fingers are thicker than
normal, perhaps that does not work, and you will have to do something else.