Re: Curious thing about ties

From: Robert Schmaus
Subject: Re: Curious thing about ties
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2016 22:42:41 +0100

> On 14 Nov 2016, at 22:27, Brian Barker <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> At 21:09 14/11/2016 +0100, Robert Schmaus wrote:
>> something I just came across while pondering away: in the following snippet,
>> there are two ties across barlines.
>> [...]
>> I've wondered why in the first instance, the tie is a down-tie, while in the
>> second it's an up-tie (see attached screenshot).
>
> (Your snippet doesn't match your output, in fact.)

Right ... as I was typing the mail, I thought I'd try if this also appears with
different notes and started to change the snippet in the mail before I
realised, that I should probably do that in frescobaldi. Forgot to restore the
snippet ... I'm not multi-threaded I guess.

> If you repeat the motif, the ties appear to alternate down, up, down, up ...
>
> Brian Barker

Interesting - so, if it alternates, maybe it *does* have to do with visual
balance after all ..

Robert