Re: Potential improvements to the homepage?

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: Potential improvements to the homepage?
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 13:06:37 +0100

Il giorno mer 16 nov 2016 alle 21:07, Flaming Hakama by Elaine <address@hidden> ha scritto:

Some comments in response to the most recent (but not quite actually recent) iteration of the perennial web site discussion.

State of Translation

Looking at the translated versions of the website, most of the content from the homepage isn't actually translated, but remains in English.

This is not accurate. Most up-to-date translations have all content translated except the pondings:
http://lilypond.org/index.it.html
http://lilypond.org/index.fr.html
http://lilypond.org/index.ja.html
http://lilypond.org/index.de.html (even though german is not really maintained at the moment)

Even within the translated versions, the links within there quickly revert to English: For example, on the French site http://lilypond.org/essay.fr.html, I click through to "Essai (HTML multipages): manuel sous forme de plusieurs pages HTML – chaque page est assez petite." http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/essay/index.fr.html. From there, when I click on a subheading in the left column, I get english: "1.1 L’histoire de LilyPond" brings me to Engish page "The Lilypond Story" http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/essay/the-lilypond-story

This is a known problem. Read from here:
https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/2273/#3b1d
So, I'm not convinced that our current infrastructure actually meets reasonable requirements for internationalization. This despite the factd that the amount of language support we have is both surprising and impressive.

Given that various people on this list recently complained about an LSR snippet with German variable names, pointing out that English is almost a neccessary evil when using lilypond, it makes me wonder how useful are the non-english websites? Are we just setting up non-English speakers for failure by making it seem like they can get along in their language?

I met some italian users who thanked me a lot for translating website and documentation. In Italy there are still people who can't read english fluently. OTOH I don't think that e.g. any Scandinavian user will ever need the documentation in his language.

If I understand correctly, the website content is (or could easily) also be produced as PDF? If so, then in the worst case, the translated websites could point to the PDF documentation for that language.

Given the amount of content in the existing translation infrastructure, it seems like we should absolutely keep it available in some fashion.

Are you proposing to remove unmaintained translations but keeping a link to the PDF of the translated website (even if out-of-date)?

I have other ideas.
The first would be adding a warning for untranslated/out-of-date pages, like the one used on FSFE website: https://fsfe.org/activities/policy/eu/policy-goals/privacy.it.html (untranslated)
https://fsfe.org/contribute/internship.it.html (not up-to-date)

This should be not too difficult to add in the current infrastructure. At least for someone who knows Python.

Another possibility would be switching _the website only_ (not the entire documentation) to gettext. I've read some Gnome documentation, where out-of-date paragraphs are replaced by the original english text. This may make the text "bilingual" but the contents would be kind of up-to-date.

If it is a possibility to develop a much better site experience, and not have 100% of the content translated, is that an acceptable trade-off? Or is it more important to have language parity than it is to have a overall better site in English?

I don't see the link between the two goals.
Please be more specific.

CMS

In most cases, the choice of a CMS should be based on who is going to maintain the content.

One benefit of the current approach is that only "the usual suspects" can maintain it. One drawaback of the current approach is that only "the usual suspects" can maintain it.

One benefit of using a CMS like Wordpress is that people other than "the usual suspects" can maintain it. One drawaback of using a CMS like Wordpress is that people other than "the usual suspects" can maintain it.

In short, we need to figure out what website content we want and who should produce it (in terms of what skills they do or do not possess) before any reasonable decisions can be made as to a technology stack.

In general Wordpress is the current standard in website deployment. According to data from this year at https://w3techs.com/technologies/details/cm-wordpress/all/all, "WordPress is used by 59.2% of all the websites whose content management system we know. This is 26.6% of all websites." It has more market share than all other CMSs put together, although still less than "no CMS", which is the majority.

It is a safe bet to say that the future of Wordpress is much more rosy than the future of lilypond. There are probably 1000X more developers fluent in Wordpress just in the SF bay area than there are developers fluent in lilypond in the entire world. There is very little chance that a site built using Wordpress will become un-maintainable in our lifetimes. By "maintain", I mean both the content as well as the platform code and plugins that produce/manage the pages and site administration.

All this to say that, if any CMS should be considered besides or in addition to the current setup, Wordpress is the only reasonable CMS to consider.

I don't think that CMS is an option to consider. I don't have time to rediscuss this again, sorry. You find the opinions on this subject in the archives.

But I agree with you in one point: it's probably easier rewriting the website from scratch, using a modern and web developer friendly tool (a static site generator IMO), than improving the current infrastructure, which has long standing bugs and limitations.