Re: exchange LyricHyphen with a "proper" hyphen

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: exchange LyricHyphen with a "proper" hyphen
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2016 00:43:27 +0100

On 2016-12-07 23:59, Thomas Morley wrote:
[...] So here a very first shot.
For now I let display the new _and_ the colored default LyricHyphen.
You'll see a drawback already: In tight situations the default gets
shortened until it vanishs. This is not possible or at least not
desirable for characters taken from a font, imho.
Iirc this was already mentioned in the discussion the tracker links to.
Maybe minimum-distance may help here, not tested though.

Yes, now that my memory is awake again, I seem to recall that I mentioned that few years ago already. At least shrinking should be undesirable for more than a very few percent of the width, similar to the microtype settings in the namesake LaTeX package. Since I typically increase minimum-distance /and/ plan to revisit the magnetic-syllable-snap openlilylib snippet for this piece again, I hope that it won't be an issue.

Anyway, beautiful work, thanks a lot. I did not try it yet in real life, but will do so on the weekend and report back. In your test case, it works like a charm.

Cheers,
Alexander