Re: exchange LyricHyphen with a "proper" hyphen

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: exchange LyricHyphen with a "proper" hyphen
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2016 12:01:41 +0100

Hi all,

On 2016-12-10 08:33, Noeck wrote:
Dear Alexander,

a very nice score!

thanks Joram and Knut.

I don't like to spoil it but in the last line (measure 30) I see an
extra hyphen.

I like that you spoil, that's why I posted it - always better to hame some more pairs of eyes look at it and give feedback. I (and diffpdf) did not spot that one, compared to the CPDL version where I "only" tweaked the standard LyricHyphen to approximately match the LyricText one in thickness and position...

I guess it is no problem to remove it though. It is in the
lyrics of the upper and lower staff inside the syllable "ten" of
"deuten". So probably not an issue of harms code but just "te -- n"
instead of "ten"?

Unfortunately, the issue only occurs only with Harm's snippet.
My first thought is some incompatibility with other overrides, like the center-on-word, the font settings, or a callback the removes short extenders. However, I can comment all of those out, and still see the superfluous hyphen. And I have a hard time to break it down to a minimal example. E.g., I can reduce to bass only and the issue still persists. Changing the font back to the default also is of no help, but changing the margins (while having line breaks at the same positions) is. Coincidentally, the lyric-syllable-magnetic-snap (from openlilylib) also has trouble dealing with this measure, and contracts deu -- ten to one entity although there is plenty of space between.

But right now, my reduction of the score is a total mess with comments here and there; I'll need to systematically approach this one and report back.

Cheers,
Alexander