Re: exchange LyricHyphen with a "proper" hyphen

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: exchange LyricHyphen with a "proper" hyphen
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2016 11:04:07 +0100

Hi Joram.

On 2016-12-11 09:28, Noeck wrote:
Hi Alexander,

Am 11.12.2016 um 01:17 schrieb Alexander Kobel:
Ah, no, here's the problem, as can be readily seen in the "Brich an, o
schönes Morgenlicht", first full measure

I don't think so. Because for notes like the second one in the soprano
voice ("an,"), the added extender line is very short and therefore
killed. It does not even require a sufficient minimum-length. [...]

Well, with my default settings, it isn't. For me, this measure would look like the attached picture. In general, I dislike setting the minimum-length too short; my default is 1.5 staff-line distances. Just the other day, I was affirmed by a measure of "In the bleak mid-winter" by Holst (attached excerpt from Oxford's engraving): The question arose (among non-native speakers) whether "Thronged" is supposed to be sung as one syllable or as "Throng -- ed". Here, the extender made clear that it should is meant as one syllable. In a slightly tighter setting, without the fifth verse, this extender might have been /really/ short, but still important.

It might not be robust enough, there may be problematic situations but I
could not find such a problem.

That's the main issue. Imagine a passage of semi-quavers in the other voices, and suddenly the extenders get large. Or think of BWV 140 "Wachet auf" with the prolonged cantus firmus in soprano over the fast-moving rest of the choir...

Anyway, I'll try to have a look and see whether I can find an easy way to detect melismata...

Cheers,
Alexander