Re: Problems with using \bookpart

From: David Sumbler
Subject: Re: Problems with using \bookpart
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 18:07:26 +0000

On Wed, 2016-12-21 at 14:48 +0000, Timothy Lanfear wrote:
> On 21/12/16 10:16, David Sumbler wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for that solution.  It is helpful to know that I can get
> > things
> > to work in this way.  However, I do wish I understood why this
> > works
> > and my version doesn't - bearing in mind that my version does work
> > until I introduce /bookpart, yet the error messages produced by
> > Lilypond don't obviously relate to that.
> >
> > What is also curious is this.  I understand that introducing Scheme
> > code with '#' or '$' affects at what point the code is run.  Your
> > version works in both cases.  My version works in neither case,
> > although only the '$' version produces the error messages.  Using
> > the
> > '#' version there are no errors apparently, but still no output
> > file is
> > produced.
> >
> > Molto misterioso!
> >
> > David
> >
> After a little experimentation, if appears that a default paper
> definition is not being created, which can fixed by adding an
> explicit
> \paper statement in testprint.ily.
>
> \version "2.19.48"
>
> \language "english"
>
> printScore  = ##t
> printMvtOne = ##t
> printMvtTwo = ##t
>
> $(if
>    (and printScore
>     (or printMvtOne printMvtTwo))
>    #{ \include "testprint.ily" #} )
>
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>
> \version "2.19.48"
>
> \book {
>    \bookpart {
>      \paper {}
>      \score { c'' }
>    }
> }

Remarkable.

Yes, my original test file (which is more complex than the abbreviated version
I sent to the list) works fine now, so long as I include a \paper block in each
\bookpart.  And the Scheme block does, as I already understood, have to be
introduced with '$' and not '#'.

Incidentally, the \book which contains the \bookpart blocks already has a
\paper block with various custom settings.  These settings are correctly
observed within the \bookparts.

Strange that a specific \paper { } has to be included here, when it is not
required if the file is included with a straight \include instruction.  This
appears to be a bug, but perhaps it isn't - I don't understand the internal
workings of these things well enough to know.

Incidentally, before anyone asks me why I need to have bookparts at all, let me
say that there will be some different \paper settings in my various bookparts.
Since I couldn't get the included file to compile correctly I had not bothered
to add these settings yet - after all, it wasn't exactly obvious to me that the
absence of a \paper block could be the cause of the failure.

Thanks for all your help.

David