Re: Is there a short way of forcing a particular octave?

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Is there a short way of forcing a particular octave?
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 14:55:52 -0500

Hi David,

> I can't see the point in avoiding any methodology
> that makes things easier and more reliable.

I agree 100%. Which is exactly why I abandoned \relative and use only
\absolute.  ;)

YMMV, of course… but as soon as my use of Lilypond advanced beyond simple songs
(e.g., I’m now regularly engraving works with 40+ staves and hundreds or even
thousands of measures), and my desire to reuse material/code increased (e.g.,
I’m now regularly using quotations, variable sharing, and so forth within a
piece, and even material sharing *between* pieces), I found \relative just has
too many drawbacks, and makes things less reliable (though not less easy to
input, of course).

I am slowly converting all my old code to \absolute, and look forward to the
day when I have no legacy \relative coding in any of my scores. I used
\relative for nearly a decade, so there’s a lot of conversion to do… but I keep
plugging away at it, whenever there’s an opportunity to revisit a score (e.g.,
someone asks for a revision, or new arrangement, etc.)

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info