Beams across rests

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Beams across rests
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2016 19:07:54 +1100

Hi All,

When adjusting the number of beams on stems on a beamed group that go across a rest within the group, I often get the following type of issue:

{

  c'32[

  \set stemLeftBeamCount = #3

  \set stemRightBeamCount = #1

  c' c'16\rest

  \set stemLeftBeamCount = #1

  \set stemRightBeamCount = #3

  c'32 c']

}

I am well aware that a way to deal with this is to create a new voice just for the rests for the duration of the beamed set, but with hundreds of these in my score this quickly becomes tiresome.

This was previously discussed here:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2016-06/msg00075.html

But at this point in time, is there a magic setting amongst all the arcane beam machinery that can assist with this? Or would it be unreasonable to propose a request for enhancement to make this common scenario easier to code?

Sorry

Andrew