Re: Compound slur: thinning at inflection points

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Compound slur: thinning at inflection points
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2017 00:46:26 +0100

Am 04.01.2017 um 21:06 schrieb David Kastrup:
> Simon Albrecht <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On 04.01.2017 00:29, Urs Liska wrote:
>>> I copied it from the 2010 Henle edition. Actually the trigger to do
>>> finally enter this was to see that Henle's slurs suffer from the
>>> same shortcoming as my compound slurs: becoming so thin at the
>>> inflection point(s).
>> Now if it were a 1985 Henle edition I’d say at once: if Henle does it,
>> it must be a good idea…
> Try cutting an inflection in a metal plate with a slur chisel at some
> point of time.  It's not a good idea as much as quite hard to avoid.  So
> I don't see much of an incentive to slavishly copy it.

The point is: This 2010 edition of Henle was engraved with Finale, and
the compound slurs were done by manually combining multiple individual
slurs (what I don't know is where these slurs came from. I imagine the
engraver just had to add random slurs to some note pairs and moved them
to their proper positions.
Apart from being a pretty fragile approach this means the thin
inflections are surely not a design decision but a necessary compromise.

But as someone said earlier it may not be an actual issue in the given
context, but it makes it still impossible to produce real flat slurs
that way - because in these it really looks bad.

Urs

--
address@hidden
https://openlilylib.org