Re: midi not rendering tied notes

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: midi not rendering tied notes
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2017 10:36:09 +0100

Bruce Pike <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm having difficulty getting midi generation to recognize tied notes.  For
> the score below, when I play the midi output the notes sound as individual
> eighth notes rather than as tied notes.
>
> \version "2.18.2" \language "english"
>
> music = \relative c {
>   \time 4/4 \key c \major
>   e'8 g( g) g( g) e( e) a |
> }
>
> \score {
>     \new Staff
>     {
>       \music
>     }
>   \layout { }
>   \midi { }
> }

Those aren't ties but slurs.  Big difference.  Take a look at the last
line of
<https://www.bach-digital.de/rsc/viewer/BachDigitalSource_derivate_00005601/db_bachp0967_page020r.jpg>:
there in the middle two bars you have a sequence of slurs in a passage
over two strings (D string and A string) where the first of two
sixteenth notes is fingered on the D string and the second on the
A string.  Obviously you would not want to play a~a (a tie, namely just
a single note) for those instances where two a appear in succession but
rather a( a) like with the other two-note two-string occurences.

So the difference between ties and slurs is important.  A slur indicates
execution without pause but two separate notes.  A tie indicates a
single note that has its value split for notational reasons.

--
David Kastrup