Re: New LilyPond website

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: New LilyPond website
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2017 08:05:36 +0100

Hi John,

Am 09.02.2017 um 07:41 schrieb Werner LEMBERG:

Ok, you can see the most current version of my design on
http://jmroper.com/lilypond

Thanks for putting this up, it's very helpful to have it that way.
Of course you will probably get 20 different opinions from 15 users and developers, but from my side I'd say this is definitely something we can build upon.
Probably it will look "old-fashioned" in three or seven years, but that's the point of separating website from documentation - it will be much easier to reuse the Markdown content for a completely different website then than it is to make substantial changes *now*.

Thanks.  First, some comments regarding the layout.

. I like the sans-serif font more that you've used in the previous
  version.  Please restore it.

I don't have an opinion about the font itself, but I noticed that the overall site design with that rather modern font is on some contrast with the style of the music examples. I wouldn't use such a Futura-like font in LIlyPond scores (at least with the default notation font) either, so it might make sense to reconsider the font from that perspective.

. At the top, I get something like the attached image (using Chrome),
  regardless of the magnification.  This looks bad.  Isn't it possible
  to have the button size changed dynamically?

Just for the record: With Firefox on Linux there's *no* problem.

I am keeping the source for the website in
https://github.com/johnroper100/LilyPond-Web-Redesign
. Where are the instructions how the web pages are created?

Here: https://github.com/johnroper100/Blended

. The layout of your repository is confusing me.  Right now, the
  contents and the templates are completely intermixed, without any
  clean separation.

I don't think that's true. There are some "bleed-overs" that should be addressed, but there is the concept of separation ...

  Looking at `templates/home_page.html' – which I guess is the source
  template for the top-level web page – I see an ordinary HTML file
  `home_page.html'.

On the Blended page it says that the optional home_page.html can be used (to have a different entry page), so this is a one-time "template" where it's not technically necessary to separate template from content.

However, I'd strongly suggest to make that home_page use templates and retrieve its content from a separate content file. I don't know if that's built into Blender or only into the concrete implementation of this website mockup. Probably Blender *would* be able to use templating for this as well. If that's true I'd say it is not much of an issue right now.

Is this really the file that should be edited?  I
  would have expected something like a `content/home_page.md' file.
  Similarly, why is there an `content/examples.html' file and not an
  `content/examples.md' file (or something similar in a higher-level
  markup language)?

Idem. From what I see this should be easily achievable. If it is not you should consider updating the engine because really all content should go into a "content" folder where *everything* that the website authors might want to touch can be found.

The third part of that is the nav1.html.
I *assume* it should be possible to make this dynamic as well. Of course the navigational structure will change much less often than the, content but still it should be accessible for editing the usual way. I *suggest* using something like a nav.json in the contents or in a new "meta" folder.

Please improve that, otherwise I can't evaluate your workflow at
all...

I think that's too bold a statement, but yes, there is stuff to be improved.

In any case, thank you for the work so far.

Urs

    Werner