Re: Scheme engravers

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Scheme engravers
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2017 10:36:33 +0100

> I'm wanting to get started writing an engraver in Scheme. Searching lists I
> don't find a lot of information for starting out on this sort of work. Does
> anybody have any pointers to how to get started creating an engraver in
> Scheme? Tutorials, examples, explanations?
>
> I understand the example on the lilypond blog for adding ornaments to note
> heads is somewhat out of date, and I would rather start off with something
> more current if possible.
>
> Andrew

Hi Andrew,

there is no tutorial for writing scheme-engravers, as far as I know.
Maybe we should add a section about this topic to the Extending
Manual. At least the basics could be explained there, too.

That said, we have
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/contributor/engraver-tutorial
for C++-engravers. The explanations there hold for scheme-engravers as well.

In the regtests we have

lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/input/regression/b1/lily-58429201.ly
as a code-example, demonstrating all possible parameters of make-engraver.

lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/input/regression/26/lily-cef6debd.ly
as a basic example, creating new TextScript.

lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/input/regression/96/lily-93dfb47e.ly
for an elaborated example.

Other examples are in LSR and in the archives.

In general, coding engravers is heavy stuff. I recommend to start with
very simple examples. Don't hesitate to ask back.

Cheers,
  Harm