Baritone and treble clef

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Baritone and treble clef
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2017 22:58:45 +0100

On 13.02.2017 17:43, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
The piece I am setting can be sung by a baritone or by a mezzo-soprano.
  In the score, therefore, there are 2 vocal staves, one for each of the
alternative voices.  The staves contain identical music apart from an
octave diffence in pitch and different clefs.
Aside: Have you thought about just having one staff, and putting the clef
modifier (i.e., subscript 8) in parentheses?

I agree. Baritones have no trouble whatsoever singing from treble clef. I’d not even bother to put the clef modifier there, because it’s self-explanatory if you write ‘Mezzosoprano or baritone’. But that may be from my personal dislike of \clef "treble_8". Historically, when people started notating tenors with treble clefs, it was transposing notation, the whole ‘octavated clef’ idea being in this case a misconception. (advanced piano notation being a different issue)

Best, Simon