Re: Making the Dedication field align left

From: Wols Lists
Subject: Re: Making the Dedication field align left
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2017 23:47:13 +0000

On 25/02/17 20:59, Simon Albrecht wrote:
> Am 25.02.2017 um 21:02 schrieb Chad Linsley:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm a Lilypond noob and am trying to customize the header. How do I
>> override the "Dedication" so that it aligns left and not centre?
>
> The way I understand it you want the dedication field placed on the left
> of the page, right? For that you need to change the paper variable
> bookTitleMarkup, which is explained on
> <http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/custom-headers-footers-and-titles#custom-layout-for-title-blocks>.
> Unfortunately, I’m not at my machine and need to ask others to give more
> specific advice – unless you can figure it out on your own.
> Speaking of ‘figure it out on your own’ – it’s incredibly helpful to
> have read the entire Learning Manual carefully (unless you already
> have). Many questions will be answered there. For more information on
> the markup commands required for customising bookTitleMarkup see
> <http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/formatting-text>.

I'm not sure where in the lily source you will find the definition of
bookTitleMarkup, but I've done exactly that. I've stuck that definition
in its own .ily file, and I just %include that file at the start of my
\paper definition. Works a treat (I always put the instrument on the
left, not lily's centre default).

Cheers,
Wol