state-of-the-art multi-instrumental/transposing mechanism

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: state-of-the-art multi-instrumental/transposing mechanism
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2017 18:13:26 -0500

Hi all,

Inspired by the “tweaking clefs” thread, I’m trying again to see if we can
crowd-source a state-of-the-art multi-instrumentalist mechanism.

The snippet below (minimal, for these purposes?) demonstrates the problem I’m
trying to solve.

Am I just being too optimistic in hoping that we can find a [relatively]
dead-simple solution, one that doesn’t require:
  1. the music being broken up into variables and knitted back together;
  2. multiple (and often redundant key signatures/changes and \transpose-itions;
  etc.
??

Has someone already invented this wheel, and I just don’t know about it?

Thanks,
Kieren.

%%%  SNIPPET BEGINS
\version "2.19.56"

\paper { line-width = 6\in }

flute = {
    \set Staff.instrumentName = "Flute"
    \set Staff.shortInstrumentName = "Fl."
    \transposition c
}
altoflute = {
    \set Staff.instrumentName = "Alto Flute"
    \set Staff.shortInstrumentName = "A. Fl."
    \transposition g
}
toF = \markup "take flute"
toAF = \markup "take alto flute"

global = {
    \key c \major s1 \break
    \key d \major s1 \break
    \key e \major s1 \break
}

flutepart = {
    \flute
    a'2 r^\toAF
    \altoflute
    a'2 r^\toF
    \flute
    a'2 r
}
flutepart_tr = {
    \key c \major
    \flute
    a'2 r^\toAF \break
    \altoflute
    \transpose c f { \key d \major a'2 r^\toF } \break
    \flute
    \key e \major
    a'2 r
}

\markup \bold "C score:"
\score {
    \new Staff << \global \flutepart >>
}

\markup \vspace #4
\markup \bold "Transposed score/part (incorrect):"
\score {
    \new Staff << \global \flutepart >>
}

\markup \vspace #4
\markup \bold "Transposed score/part SHOULD look like:"
\score {
    \new Staff \flutepart_tr
}
%%%  SNIPPET ENDS