Piano score, pedal problem

From: Robert Blackstone
Subject: Piano score, pedal problem
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2017 12:58:19 +0100

Dear all,

I have run into two problems with pedal indications in a piano score.

The score I am working on has different pedal marks: the "common" type: Ped  closing with an astrisk, and the bracketed form, starting when I write "\set Staff.pedalSustainStyle = #'mixed".

Problem 1: how can I get back to the other pedal marking? The Notation Reference does not tell me and Learning does not contain the word "sustain" or "\sustainOn" and uses the word Pedal only for Organ music.
Problem 2: I want to specify pedal markings in a separate dynamics context, but while the"common" type works well, the bracketed type does not. When I enter "\set Staff.pedalSustainStyle = #'mixed", nothing  appears. So I have left that out in the second version of the example below, since it does throw in some spurious elements whwn rpocessed with Frescobaldi (I normally use TeXShop which is more forgiving.)

Here are two examples that will show the problems. The melody is taken from http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/piano, Piano pedals,
but given twice in each example to enable illustrating problem 1.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

%\version "2.18.2"
\version "2.19.54.1"

 %Version 1
bassLine = {
\clef "bass" \key c \major \time 4/4

c4\sustainOn g c2\sustainOff | % 1
\set Staff.pedalSustainStyle = #'mixed
c4\sustainOn g c d | % 2
d\sustainOff\sustainOn g c2\sustainOff | % 3
\once \set Staff.pedalSustainStyle = #'bracket
c4\sustainOn g c d | % 4
d\sustainOff\sustainOn g c2 | % 5
c4\sustainOn g c2\sustainOff | % 6
\set Staff.pedalSustainStyle = #'mixed
c4\sustainOn g c d | % 7
d\sustainOff\sustainOn g c2\sustainOff | % 8
\set Staff.pedalSustainStyle = #'bracket
c4\sustainOn g c d | % 9
d\sustainOff\sustainOn g c2 \bar "|." | %10
}

pedal = {
}

\score {
\new Staff = "lower"
<<
\new Voice = "bassLine"  \bassLine
 %\new Dynamics = "pedal" \pedal

 }
 %%%%%%%%

%Version 2

bassLine = {
\clef "bass" \key c \major \time 4/4

c4 g c2 | % 1
\set Staff.pedalSustainStyle = #'mixed
c4 g c d | % 2
d g c2 | % 3
\set Staff.pedalSustainStyle = #'bracket
c4 g c d | % 4
d g c2 | % 5
c4 g c2 | % 6
\set Staff.pedalSustainStyle = #'mixed
c4 g c d | % 7
d g c2 | % 8
\set Staff.pedalSustainStyle = #'bracket
c4 g c d | % 9
d g c2 \bar "|." | %10
}

pedal = {
s4\sustainOn s4 s2\sustainOff | % Ped 1
s4\sustainOn s4 s4 s4 | % Ped 2
s4\sustainOff\sustainOn s4 s2\sustainOff | % Ped 3
s4\sustainOn s4 s4 s4 | % Ped 4
s4\sustainOff\sustainOn s4 s2 | % Ped 5
s4\sustainOn s4 s2\sustainOff | % Ped 6
s4\sustainOn s4 s4 s4 | % Ped 7
s4\sustainOff\sustainOn s4 s2\sustainOff | % Ped 8
s4\sustainOn s4 s4 s4 | % Ped 9
s4\sustainOff\sustainOn s4 s4 s4 | % Ped 10

}

\score {
\new Staff = "lower"
<<