empty-stencil versus point-stencil (was "Re: Text *in* score - Stopped s

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: empty-stencil versus point-stencil (was "Re: Text *in* score - Stopped staves - Horizontal spacing")
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2017 09:36:09 -0500

Hi David,

>>> \markup \with-dimensions #empty-interval #empty-interval
>>
>> I prefer
>> \markup \with-dimensions-from \null
>
> Different thing.  \null corresponds to a point-stencil (single-point
> intervals), the first one corresponds to an empty-stencil (empty intervals).

Thanks for the clarification!

I have three questions on this topic:

1. Will ‘point-stencil’ still be unseen? Or does it literally output 1 point
[which could be seen at a high enough magnification]?

2. [Sometimes…? All the time…?] When I use

    \mark \markup \with-dimensions #empty-interval #empty-interval    [**]

the log gives

    warning: RehearsalMark has empty extent and non-empty stencil

But output is as expected, and no other use of [**] seems to throw the same
error. Is there a better way to make my RehearsalMark markup not interact with
the spacing engine?

3. I’ve tried to simplify

    \with-dimensions #empty-interval #empty-interval

by making it a tweak like

    nodim = -\tweak \with-dimensions #empty-interval #empty-interval \etc

But every combination of that which I’ve tried hasn’t worked. What is the
correct incantation, so that I can later say

   c’-\nodim \markup “foo”

or

   c’-\markup \nodim “foo"

?