Re: \single \hideNotes stem vanishes: bug or feature?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: \single \hideNotes stem vanishes: bug or feature?
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2017 19:13:01 +0100

Michael Gerdau <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi list,
>
> I just stumbled about the following:
>
> %%%
> \version "2.19.57"
>
> { <\single \hideNotes b' f'> }
> %%%
>
> As expected the b is not displayed. But why does the stem of f vanish
> (completely) as well?
> Is that intended (why?) or is that a bug?
> And if it's intended how do I get the f's stem back?

The Stem usually has the first notehead as its parent, and \hideNotes is
defined as

%% hideNotes

hideNotes = {
  % hide notes, accidentals, etc.
  \override Dots.transparent = ##t
  \override NoteHead.transparent = ##t
  \override NoteHead.no-ledgers = ##t
  % assume that any Beam inherits transparency from its parent Stem
  \override Stem.transparent = ##t
  \override Accidental.transparent = ##t
  \override Rest.transparent = ##t
  \override TabNoteHead.transparent = ##t
}

So you could use

{ <f' \single \hideNotes b'> }

instead (to break the relation between Stem and b') or just use

{ <\hide b' f'> }

--
David Kastrup