Re: Partial

From: Engraver
Subject: Re: Partial
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2017 08:20:48 +0100

Op 18 maart 2017 21:49:17 schreef Joseph Austin <address@hidden>:

> But thinking about it, I'm wondering why one would want to notate a different duration than is actually played,

A reason can be to make room in the bar for something else. For example, I use it to engrave grace-like notes at the end of a bar. This happens a lot in the baroque organ music I am typesetting. By playing with the fractions in this example the position of f sharp-g relative to the left hand part can be controlled.

\version "2.18.2"

musicRH = \relative c'' {  g2*7/8\mordent( \teeny fis16*1/2 g) \normalsize \grace fis8( e2) }

musicLH = \relative c' { \clef bass e8 b a b g e g a |}

\score = {
  <<
     \musicRH
     \new Staff \musicLH

}

> I'm relatively new to Lilypond at this level of detail.
> All I can say is that the allowed forms and interpretation of \partial isn't so clear to me from the existing documentation.

I recognize that sentiment. I am sure the information is all there. But it's not always clear to someone who isn't already versed in Lilypond.

Regards,
Auke