Re: Parallel Square Premusic

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Parallel Square Premusic
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 20:34:19 +0100

<address@hidden> writes:

> I'm very certain that Parallel Squares will revolutionize the field of
> music notation. There simply has never been anything like it.

But there have been statements like that for every discipline of science
and arts a billion times over.  It's almost a telltale sign where they
lead when you just need someone else to figure out the unimportant
details and do all the work.

You might want to look at music braille which also gets along with a
finite number of symbols.  There is a reason it is used almost
exclusively by blind musicians.  There are various forms of piano roll
writing systems all of which were to revolutionize music notation, and
uniform keyboard systems promising the same.  Of the latter, only the
chromatic button accordion was significantly successful and, judging
from the respective non-impact on pianos, organs and harmoniums, not as
much because of its revolutionary approach to intervals but mostly
because of the space and weight advantages for a portable hand bellows
instrument.

I am not saying that a division of labor can't work: I play an accordion
myself that Morino constructed, having an adjustable chord octave as
specified by the musician it has been built for.  The construction
actually never took off but I am certainly glad I have one of the
handful of instruments containing it.

Now you are setting out to revolutionalize music notation.  How
experienced are you with it?  What kind of instrument have you studied
to a degree where the shortcomings of traditional notation to represent
the music interfere with your ability to compose?

So far, it looks like you have a vague idea and are willing to "donate"
it to the world at large as long as somebody else does the actual work.

This is not how innovation works.  You'll need to carry a whole lot more
of the weight you want to see lifted than that if you want your idea to
be successful, and even then it is highly unlikely that you will gain
more than a handful of followers.

--
David Kastrup