Re: new to this list - converting from Noteworthy Composer

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: new to this list - converting from Noteworthy Composer
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2017 11:08:12 +0100

Guido van Harten <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I think I am new to this list. A few years ago I tried Lilypond to
> create my music files. It failed, but I do not remember why.
>
> As of today I will give it a new try. Now I am starting of my current
> music notation software, Noteworthy Composer.
> I think the converting utility nwc2ly is not part of the lilypond
> software, but may be anyone can help me.
>
> I tried to convert a simple music file, created in Noteworthy Composer
> 2.75, to Lilypond.
> Is this forum also for discussing about nwc2ly?

I doubt you'll find many who can give qualified advice about nwc2ly
here, though if you have particular problems with the generated .ly
files, of course people will be able to tell you what is wrong and how
to proceed.

I see that <http://nwc2ly.sourceforge.net/index.php> points out "Help"
and "Open discussion" forums for nwc2ly on its web page but I have no
idea how active they may still be, given that the last software release
appears to be from 2005.

In connection with that, you'll most certainly want to make yourself
acquainted with the convert-ly utility in the LilyPond toolbox which can
upgrade LilyPond files written for older versions (though 2005 is
_really_ old) to newer versions.

Good luck!  For editing LilyPond files, you might want to check out the
Frescobaldi IDE for LilyPond.  It also makes creating and organizing
music from scratch easier particularly for beginners since it has a
number of templates where you "only" need to fill in the music.

--
David Kastrup