How to shorten a tail on an eighth note?

From: Joseph N. Srednicki
Subject: How to shorten a tail on an eighth note?
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2017 10:43:10 -0400

Hello:

See the example below.

Is there a technique to shorten the tail of an eight note in such a situation?

The other techniques that I have used in this situation are to shift the note on the right more or to lengthen the stem of the note on the left.

However, I am wondering if there is a tweak or other technique to shorten a tail?

I searched lilypond.org and Google, but did not retrieve a helpful answer. If I missed the appropriate place in the documentation, I apologize.

Thanks for your help.

Joe Srednicki

\version "2.19.58"

\language "english"

global = {

  \key e \minor

  \numericTimeSignature

  \time 2/4

}

rightOne = \relative c'' {

  \global

  c8 s4.|

}

rightTwo = \relative c'' {

  \global

  \stemUp \shiftOn g8 s4. |

}

\score {

  \new PianoStaff

   <<

    \new Staff = "right" << \rightOne \\ \rightTwo >>