Re: Fonts in the title (that is, to have better apostrophes and commas)

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Fonts in the title (that is, to have better apostrophes and commas)
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2017 22:44:20 +0200

Am 13.04.2017 um 19:25 schrieb Son_V:
Hi I would like to have apostrophes ( ' ) and commas ( " something " )
those are called double-quotes in English
  not
straight. please suggest me. Maybe I should change the fonts?

This has nothing to do with fonts, as Joram already said. The question is how to enter the proper characters – sadly, there are very few keyboard layouts that conveniently handle them. (I use Neo2, which is optimised for German text.) One possibility is using a character map program. More convenient is using Frescobaldi’s ‘Special characters’ panel, if you are using Frescobaldi.
Also, on Windows you can access a number of special characters by various
Alt + <four-digit code on number block>
combinations, e.g.
Alt + 0132 -> „
Alt + 0145 -> ‘
Alt + 0146 -> ’
Alt + 0147 -> “
Alt + 0148 -> ”
Alt + 0150 -> –

For more information, see <https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgolette> and <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quotation_mark#Keyboards>.

It’s great that you’re interested in using the typographical characters! They are so much more beautiful :-)

Best, Simon