Re: importing midifiles

From: Martin Tarenskeen
Subject: Re: importing midifiles
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2017 16:35:52 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 17 Apr 2017, Bert Van den Brink wrote:

Dear all I just subscribed to the mailing list and as a real beginner I have a
question about importing midi.
How to configure that?
I already have the output of midi but maybe you need a totally different
context for this.
As I am blind lilypond is really a fantastic tool aspecially for me to control
really what I write in stead of computer programs taking their own decisions.
:-)
Kind regards
Bert van den Brink

Welcome on the list Bert,

There is a commandline tool midi2ly (or midi2ly.py), which is part of the lilypond distribution, It takes a midifile as input and outputs lilypond code. It has several options to give a result that needs less manual tweaking afterwards.

Another similar tool is musicxml2ly, which takes MusicXML files as input. This can be useful to import scores from scoring programs like Sibelius, Finale, or MuseScore, that all can export MusicXML. MusicXML is more suitable than MIDI to export/import music notation.

a fellow Dutchman,

Martin