Re: vocalName vs. instrumentName

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: vocalName vs. instrumentName
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2017 09:56:36 -0400

Hi Simon,

> In vocal scores there is a convention of displaying the name of a singer upon
> entry as a markup above the staff, sometimes in a special font (sans serif,
> narrow). Now, if Instrument_name_engraver actually did such a thing that
> would be a very good feature, and a sensible use for vocalName.

This is (or at least is intimately related to) a feature I’ve been asking about
for quite some time: the parameter-controlled printing of instrument or vocal
names/labels at the beginning of each system or page, especially when dealing
with partcombine-d staves.

If I understand them correctly, this is a perfect job for a Scheme engraver.
Now if only I spoke Scheme…

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer