Re: OT: Apple stealing "Lily"

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: OT: Apple stealing "Lily"
Date: Sat, 6 May 2017 12:08:12 -0500

> On May 6, 2017, at 3:47 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Robert Schmaus <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> Please cool down and stop overreacting.
>>

>> Well your statement, which - very possibly without any bad intention -
>> turned around the historical facts, so admirably matched that notion
>> that occasionally pops up also on this list ... namely that notion
>> that everything proprietary is an attack on one's freedom. And that
>> *is* paranoid.

Stallman, Lessig and the EFF all trend in that direction.  There is a tendency
to try to keep the notions to computer code, but there are much larger
implications to the foundational notions.  And sadly a certain amount of
paranoia is called for in the modern information society:  who has your
information and what they intend to do with it are salient questions for
everyone.  I use Apple products because I find them practically superior to
other options, but I do not trust Apple (or Microsoft, Google, Facebook, etc.)-
they have their interests at heart, not mine.  As a result I take what steps I
can to protect myself and my information.  Linux creates different risks,
mainly mitigated by the ultra-tiny market share, as well as a number of
practical problems that I do not have the time or skills to solve.  While I am
sympathetic to Stallman’s and Lessig’s notions, they are not without problems.

> Uh, no.  That is the _definition_ of "proprietary": being not at liberty
> for the taking.  That does not preclude putting the respective
> consequences into proper relation to one's own personal standards and
> aims.

This is ultimately questioning whether ownership of anything is moral, when
taken to the logical conclusion.  If something (whether real or conceptual) is
owned by someone then it is proprietary:  my house, my bank account, my car, my
guitars and amps, the music I have composed and recorded/published, etc.
Otherwise we end up proposing that only certain classes or types of property
should be exempt from ownership, which becomes mired the very sticky set of
laws that govern copyright, patents* and trademark.  That is a rather larger
issue than is perhaps apropos for the Lilypond mailing list, I think…  Most
Americans and probably most people around the world consider their right to
ownership to be part of their liberty and not an infringement of liberty.

*FWIW, the US government has had a law on the books since I think 1910 that
allows it to claim ownership- without compensation- of the subject of any
patent, if it is for the “public good”- an extension of eminent domain into
so-called “intellectual property."  It has been used to circumvent the cost of
proprietary patented medications, for example, and may soon be used again in
the state of Louisiana for treating hepatitis C.  The current 12 week course of
treatment costs $84,000 and Louisiana is looking to cut those costs
dramatically to be able to afford to treat the thousands of its citizens on
public health benefits.  At the current prices, treating those patients alone
would bankrupt the state; not treating them causes significant long-term health
risks which are in turn expensive for the state and its taxpayers.  Whether
doing this increases or decreases liberty is an interesting question.