Re: Chords in LilyPond

From: Charles Winston
Subject: Re: Chords in LilyPond
Date: Thu, 25 May 2017 00:37:34 -0400

> On May 25, 2017, at 12:26 AM, Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hi Charles,
>
>>> Which mode of input?
>>>  \chordmode { c1:7 }
>>> or
>>>  { <c' e' g' bf'>1 }
>>
>> I think \chordmode will be the most useful form of input, because that way
>> we know the user's intentions with the chords. It would be tough to infer
>> the semantics from just the note input, which is essentially what happens
>> now with the current naming process (which is what we are trying to fix)
>
> Except <e bf g’ c''> contains a huge amount of information that cannot
> currently be input in \chordmode (as far as I know).
>
> Ultimately, as long as we end up with an input system robust enough to convey
> that amount of information, I don’t particularly care whether it’s in
> \chordmode or whatever.

True. I think ideally we need an input mode that is stronger than chordmode, or
we at least need to improve chordmode to be able to handle complex structures
like your example. I think the best thing to do is base many of the semantic
categories off of existing features supported by chordmode, as well as add
additional categories that are not yet supported by any input mode, the hope
being that a follow-up to this project can tackle the improvement of the input.

Charles