Re: setting baseline-skip "from this point on"

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: setting baseline-skip "from this point on"
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2017 23:43:46 +0200

On 07.06.2017 19:44, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
Is it*really*  not possible to have just one "huge" command, which is used wherever
"\huge" makes sense?

You mean one command for use in markup and music? That’s not possible, because markup commands have a different namespace in that \huge is translated to #:huge in the Scheme ‘markup’ macro, which is then translated to make-huge-markup. (Which is also why define-markup-command has such a different syntax from define-music-function &c.)

  In the 20 years I've programmed (in different languages and environments),
I've never seen as many multiple confusing definitions as there seem to be in
the Lilypond codebase (q.v. fontSize, font-size, fontsize, etc.).

Maybe <http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/learning/naming-conventions-of-objects-and-properties> should be somewhat extended to cover musicFunctions and markup-commands? A real problem is that there are a few markup commands that defy the naming convention. In the special case of font size, you have to chime in as a native speaker whether fontsize is even correct, i.e. spelling it as one word.

Best, Simon