Re: lyrics hyphens question

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: lyrics hyphens question
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2017 16:19:43 -0500

Hi Kieren,

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 3:21 PM, Kieren MacMillan
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi David (et al.),
>
> These are questions regarding the "lyric-word-reconstituter" in the thread
> which includes the post
> <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2014-03/msg00489.html>.
>
> I'd love to use it (or something like it) in my engravings going forward.
>
> 1. It doesn't seem to work with 2.19.61 (at least), and convert-ly doesn't
> seem to help. The error is
>
>     warning: type check for `LyricWord' failed; value `#<Grob_properties>'
> must be of type `list'
>
> My instinct (and a quick search on -user) led me to believe that changing
>
>     (set-object-property! grob-name 'translation-type? list?)

>     (set-object-property! grob-name 'translation-type? ly:grob-properties?)
>
> might fix the problem. The file/example now compiles without error. Did I fix
> it correctly?

Yes, that's right.

> 2. This is a workaround/hack/fix from 2014. At the time, there was some
> question as to whether Janek might roll this (or similar) into the GSoC Lyric
> project… but that is, I believe, dead in the water. Is there any hope of
> getting this into the codebase? I'm happy to take this "stub" (much more than
> a stub, of course!) and shepherd it through the dev process to the goal line
> — but I don't want to start down a track that will ultimately lead to
> frustration or nowhere at all.

It's not suitable as is, but easily remedied.  The grob LyricWord is
defined in a hackish way so that it can fit in an LY file.

In my opinion, it's potentially useful to have a grob which organizes
whole Lyric words, so lyrics are not simply a collection of isolated
syllables.  (Makes short work of the compression in this instance.)

I can't say what problems there are with the compression routine.  I
know there have been complaints, but I haven't looked into them.  (See
openlilylib, I believe.)

DN