Re: point-and-click to the finger not the moon

From: Pierre-Luc Gauthier
Subject: Re: point-and-click to the finger not the moon
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2017 17:25:11 -0400

>>> Maybe something like: right-click on a grob to get a list of possible
>>> targets in the code (e.g., "Staff, Voice, quoted source, Lilypond
>>> definition of 'acciaccatura'"), select item and be taken to that 'level'.
>>
>> IFAIK, no such information are contained in the PDF itself which would
>> mean Frescobaldi (or any other editor) would have to infer it from the
>> code (quite the impossible), is that what you mean?
>
> Yes. Why is that impossible? If the link is attached to (e.g.) a NoteHead
> grob which is inside a quote defined in VariableA but incorporated into
> VoiceB and displayed in StaffC, why couldn't the editor work out a target
> list like:
>
>    StaffC
>    StaffC > VoiceB
>    StaffC > VoiceB > VariableA
>
> ??

How could the editor know?
What if VariableA is used by two voices? Which one should it refer to?
And how would it know it refers to that voice in the first place?

I usually write things as separated as possible keeping most the
content out and far from the presentation.
Roughly, oboeI = {lotsOfMusic} which is in its own file (e.g.
oboeI.ily) with no include in *that* file; the editor is in a dead
end.
And somewhere else, in a whole other obscure file, that oboeI variable
gets called in by oboeI-IIPart partcombine stuff, oboeI for clarinet
in A, oboeI for clarinet in Bf, and in the concert pitch score and
finally in the transposed one.
To what voice should it refer to? (let alone what staff uses it‽)
And how could the program (e.g. Frescobaldi) know how to list those
voices (Staff, etc)?
>From what I understand, the editor would have to be at least as wise
as LilyPond to figure that out.

> Right now, Frescobaldi knows how to "Jump to definition" from some bits of
> code to others… In fact, given
>    \new Staff << \globalStuff \noteStuff >>
> one can already [in Frescobaldi] click on either \globalStuff or \noteStuff
> and be taken to that part of the code. I don't immediately see why what I've
> outlined above isn't just a fancy version of this existing feature.

Well, in most of my files, Frescobaldi fails to "Jump to [my] definition"s.
It just cannot look around in my whole project(computer) to know where
that definition is.

% \begin{bogus example} :
definitions.ily : someCommand = {…}
music.ily : music = {…}
theContent.ily : <<\someCommand \music>>
engravePlease.ly = \include "music.ily" \include "definitions.ily"
\include "theContent.ily"

--
Pierre-Luc Gauthier