Re: parts sharing a staff

From: Shevek
Subject: Re: parts sharing a staff
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 18:59:39 -0700 (MST)

Kieren MacMillan wrote
> That's very interesting! Right now I'm putting together a comparative
> analysis of the different methods of coding shared/split staves; this is
> not one I had previously seen or considered. As it relies on the
> partcombiner — which is both feature-poor and limited to two voices — it
> has some drawbacks; but there are also some benefits to the approach.
> Thanks for sharing it!

I'd be fascinated to have an in depth conversation about shared staves in
Lilypond. I've been giving a fair bit of thought to how I'd like it to work,
at least based on my particular use case.

Kieren MacMillan wrote
> 2. Speaking from a depth of experience, I might recommend not worrying
> about margin labels while composing… I find the mode-switching keeps me
> from harnessing really good composition focus/flow.

Agreed. It's not something I fix constantly, but it's annoying to worry
about every time I want to print a fair copy of a draft, e.g. to submit to
something.