Re: parts sharing a staff

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: parts sharing a staff
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2017 15:23:30 -0400

Hi Shevek,

> as I compose I may add or subtract measures many times.
> Having to keep the editorial changes synced with the score

Currently that *is* an issue. (Note: I don't compose into Lilypond; I tried it
a few times, but found it *way* too frustrating!) Fortunately, the problem will
be greatly reduced (possibly even eliminated?) in the near future, when the
edition-engraver supports id- and anchor-based mods.

> it would be less readable, because it obscures the
> musical reason for combining or separating staves.

Not sure I understand your meaning…?
What is an example of a musical reason, *not* part of the presentation layer,
for combining/separating staves?

Thanks,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer