Re: ChordMarkup context

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: ChordMarkup context
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2017 23:43:06 +0200

> On Wed, 5 Jul 2017, Thomas Morley wrote:
>> So I tried a proof of concept, although I'm not convinced of the idea
>> to have chords as markup only.
>
> Thank you!  This seems to be a big improvement and I hope it'll reduce the
> perennial confusion people have with chord names, if we can simply point
> them to it as a way to print names that match the input.

Because it works already with 2.18.2 I've put it in the LSR
http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?u=1&id=1057
currently unapproved.

Though, no image is displayed.
This is a reappearing problem in the LSR (not with the snippet, the
code is available), obviously unsolved ...

Thus the description is a dummy for now, I have to contact the
LSR-maintainer first ....

>> Also, one drawback may be the huge amount of string-operations. I fear
>> it may come at a cost (compilation time) and other problems once
>
> My guess is that since chord names are most often used at all for things
> like popular songs, which are relatively short and may not contain a whole
> lot of other difficult engraving, this won't be prohibitive in practice.

Probably.

I now tested with guile-2.2
Apart from a (known) warning with argument-order for string-delete, I
didn't notice any problems.

Cheers,
  Harm