Re: hel_arabic_makam.ly

From: Hans Åberg
Subject: Re: hel_arabic_makam.ly
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2017 00:41:39 +0200

> On 19 Jul 2017, at 23:41, address@hidden wrote:
>
> No spam .

Sorry, probably my ISP added it, and I forgot to remove it.

> It works wonderfully. I am a player of oud and classical guitar , 25 years
> for guitar and 20 years for oud . I know perfectly the Arab makams.

What does the MIDI at [1] sound to your ears? Are the microtones too low or too
high?

1. http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2016-02/msg00607.html

> And I wrote a lot of scores.
> , Using hel_arabic_makam.ly for oud of course.
> look this pdf file music.

I haven't seen the code, but as long as you do not transpose or bother about
the MIDI it does not matter. If you want to transpose but do not care about the
MIDI, you might try dividing the sharp into 5 instead of dividing the whole
tone into 9 as makam.ly does. If you want the tuning to be right, then E53 is
merely an equal temperament which is very close to Pythagorean tuning, which is
what you get when tuning the oud in fourths. But on [2], the an accordion in
E12 with the microtone set rather high, I think, so perhaps it does not matter
so much.

2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvp6fo7tfpk