Re: Fwd: re: automatic beaming behavior

From: Reilly Farrell
Subject: Re: Fwd: re: automatic beaming behavior
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2017 14:36:29 -0700

Thank you for your responses.  In this case, we're looking to set up beaming rules that LilyPond does not follow by default (such as grouping consecutive eighth notes in pairs of two when in 4/4 time, rather than groups of four).

David, your solution seems just like what we need based on what I've read in the documentation.  Right now, though, I'm receiving the following error message:

error: wrong type for argument 3.  Expecting list, found 2

    2,

      2,2,2 % beatStructure

../../../road-map-score-block.ily:20:6: error: syntax error, unexpected ','

    2

     ,2,2,2 % beatStructure

etc.

Is there something I've overlooked in the formatting?

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 11:48 AM, David Wright <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu 20 Jul 2017 at 11:24:25 (-0700), Reilly Farrell wrote:
> We are compiling several hundred melody and rhythm examples. Each example
> references the same .ily file where global settings and formatting are
> handled. Is there code for setting automatic behavior of beams that we can
> put in the .ily file (not within a \relative { } block) to resolve the
> issue?
>
> (The desire is for beamed notes to reflect the beat - pairs of eighths in
> 4/4, 3/4, 2/4 and groups of three eighths in 6/8, 9/8,or 12/8.)

%% Beam crochets separately.
%% 2.18.2 can't parse this format for beatStructure

\layout {
  \context {
    \Score
    \overrideTimeSignatureSettings
    2/2 % timeSignatureFraction
    1/8 % baseMomentFraction
    2,2,2,2 % beatStructure
    #'() % beamExceptions
    \overrideTimeSignatureSettings
    3/4 % timeSignatureFraction
    1/8 % baseMomentFraction
    2,2,2 % beatStructure
    #'() % beamExceptions
    \overrideTimeSignatureSettings
    4/4 % timeSignatureFraction
    1/8 % baseMomentFraction
    2,2,2,2 % beatStructure
    #'() % beamExceptions
    \overrideTimeSignatureSettings
    5/4 % timeSignatureFraction
    1/8 % baseMomentFraction
    2,2,2,2,2 % beatStructure
    #'() % beamExceptions
    \overrideTimeSignatureSettings
    6/4 % timeSignatureFraction
    1/8 % baseMomentFraction
    2,2,2,2,2,2 % beatStructure
    #'() % beamExceptions
    \overrideTimeSignatureSettings
    7/4 % timeSignatureFraction
    1/8 % baseMomentFraction
    2,2,2,2,2,2,2 % beatStructure
    #'() % beamExceptions
    \overrideTimeSignatureSettings
    8/4 % timeSignatureFraction
    1/8 % baseMomentFraction
    2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2 % beatStructure
    #'() % beamExceptions

%% Beam compound dotted crochets separately.
%% 2.18.2 can't parse this format for beatStructure

\layout {
  \context {
    \Score
    \overrideTimeSignatureSettings