Re: Offset incipit staff

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Offset incipit staff
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2017 22:06:12 +0200

Bockett Hunter <address@hidden> writes:

> You are, of course, correct.  I'm using Version 2.18.2-1.
>
> On Sun, Aug 13, 2017 at 3:05 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Bockett Hunter <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > It's not a major issue, but I cannot get the staff for the incipit to
>> > align vertically with the staff of the following music.
>> > It is about half a staff space too high.
>>
>> There is a reason LilyPond complains when you omit the \version
>> statement.  Different versions behave differently.  You should always
>> state which version you are actually using.

Ok, so this is _after_ 2.17.14
commit 692b4e4ed7c1aae4d4d53ad59c26c22f2dd2d90f
Author: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
Date:   Sun Mar 3 01:04:31 2013 +0100

    Issue 3187: Ugly alignment of text and score within a markup

    For \score within \markup, the reference point (usually the middle
    staff line) of the lowest staff in the top system is placed on the
    baseline.

    This is an incompatible change, but the previous behavior (placing the
    _highest_ y coordinate of the score on the baseline, disregarding the
    staves) was not useful.

Let's see.  You don't actually _want_ any unnatural alignment, so remove
your \general-align again and add

      \override Staff.InstrumentName.self-alignment-Y = ##f

to the instrument specification (the default is centering, clearly
inappropriate for your use).

There is also a ready-made \incipit command: annoyingly I haven't been
able to make it generate an incipit at all given your example.  No idea
why.

--
David Kastrup