Re: Remove all occurrencies of "0" fingerings

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: Remove all occurrencies of "0" fingerings
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 11:29:35 +0200

Am 15.08.2017 um 10:15 schrieb David Kastrup:
Marc Hohl <address@hidden> writes:
[...]
For the record: First, I used the solution with grob-transformer, but
then I found out that removing the grob completely yields to problems
with glissando lines between fingerings, so I switched to the solution
given above.

Your description did not imply that you actually wanted to use that
point for positioning purposes.  However, I think glissandi are between
noteheads rather than fingerings.  It's conceivable that they try taking
fingerings into account in some manner: in that case, it would make
sense if they ignored empty stencils.

Yes, of course. I wasn't aware of the implications either – putting
glissando lines between fingerings is quite straightforward, but I had
to use glissandoMap and some trickery to create a satisfactory result.

My current project includes a book with a violin and a guitar staff, and
an additional handout for guitar-only purposes with tablature added. My
focus was primarily on the first part, which has to be finished in terms
of the layout as soon as possible for the illustrator to start to draw
the pictures to be added later. Therefore I missed the glissando line
suddenly pointing to nowhere in the tablature part.

Interestingly, I didn't see the spurious line on screen, but in a printoutthat I am currently using for practicing the guitar part that will be
recorded in a couple of days. I don't know whether others have made
similar experiences, but on screen nearly everything seems to look
correct.

At any rate, it is sort of amusing that your choice between two complex
solutions hinges on whether they use point-stencil or empty-stencil
internally: interchanging those two is not all that hard.  At least
Thomas documented his solution better.

Well, IIRC you were the first who mentioned the recursion error (which I
should have found myself – silly me).  But I have to admit that Harm's
solution works with scheme functions I understood at first glance,
whereas the grob-transformer stuff was not that easy for me to cope
with.

Conclusion: the list is great, and the fact that there are multiple
solutions to a problem makes it easier to find the most suitable
workaround ;-)

Regards,

Marc