Re: manual beaming and variables

From: Gianmaria Lari
Subject: Re: manual beaming and variables
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2017 15:41:45 +0200

On 27 August 2017 at 08:57, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
Gianmaria Lari <address@hidden> writes:
[...] if I explicitly set the beaming like this

> \version "2.19.60"
>
> note = {a8}
>
> {
>   {\note [b b b]}
> }
>

> it doesn't compile. Why and how I can fix it?

You'd have to write

    note = a8

to even have a chance: sequential music enclosed in { } cannot get a
beam: which _expression_ should even get it?

oh, you're right!

However, LilyPond does not permit adding "post events" after the fact
(never mind their name).  You can use

{
  <>[ \note b b b]
}

to have the beam start event on an empty chord with duration 0.  This
will work reasonably well for beaming but not for post events (like
string numbers) that need to be attached to single notes rather than
moments of time.

Great David, thank you! And what about the note duration? Is there any why to avoid to specify the note duration and write something like this:

\version "2.19.60"

nc = c_3
nd = d_2
ne = e_3
nf = f_4

{
  \fixed c' {<>8 [\nc \nd \ne \nf}
  \fixed c' {<>16 [\nc \nd \ne \nf}
}

(I know I can use a snippet, but I'm curious to see if in simple case like this there is simplier solution).
g.