Re: Piano Left Hand Alone

From: Ben
Subject: Re: Piano Left Hand Alone
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2017 21:41:51 -0400

On 10/24/2017 8:36 PM, James Harkins wrote:

A PianoStaff is a staff group (container for staves) with specific properties: left brace, keep-alive-together. By default, it contains zero staves. You may create only one staff in it, if you like. That's different from Sibelius, e.g., which creates two staves for piano by default.

And this is one of the big advantages to using LilyPond: concepts and structures like this all add up to really make a huge difference in engraving...modern scores especially I've found it's a lifesaver. Keeping everything orderly!

I really appreciate the separation / semantic approach with how contexts are organized and not limiting the user to certain "defaults" that some programs insist you accept and deal with...

    It's perhaps one of the confusing things in LilyPond that it engraves only
    the staves that you create. By convention, a piano staff has two staves,
    *but those staves don't exist unless you make them*.

I think that can be confusing at first to new users as they dive deeper into the Pond, yes but it's well worth exploring! :)